Up and Comer
TSB W-L-T: Ungodly Awful

CHARGERS 21, BROWNS 17

Postby vogtcd11 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:07 am

CHARGERS 21, BROWNS 17

Bolts ‘JJ’ past unbeaten Browns

By Chris Vogt
Tecmo World News

SAN DIEGO — A JJ started the scoring, as well as ended it.

Jim Kelly’s 89-yard touchdown bomb to a jumping Ricky Proehl in the last seconds late Sunday night ignited a 21-17 triumph over the once unbeaten Cleveland Browns in San Diego.

“This was one messed up game,” Chargers coach Vogtcd11 said. “We really didn’t know what to expect heading in. We just knew that we were playing one of the best teams in the King Kong Conference.”

After the Browns (4-1) scored on Tom Waddle’s 70-yard JJ toss from Craig Erickson with 19 seconds left in the game to put the visitors ahead 17-14, the Chargers answered back with a surprise.

Chargers return man Bob Christian was able to get out of bounds with 2 ticks left to set up Kelly’s desperation heave.

San Diego’s offensive line stepped up big, allowing Kelly to scramble and enough time for Proehl to get deep in his route. As Cleveland linebacker Dante Jones rushed in, Kelly received a key block and heaved the ball downfield.

Proehl leaped, snagged the pigskin and scampered to the end zone to lead the Chargers to victory.

“I really wish we could have played that one over,” Browns coach tecmOCrusher said. “Especially without the lag.”

Added Vogtcd11: “Yeah, I think this wasn’t meant to be counted. But I guess I’ll take it. The Browns are very, very well coached, and I don’t want to take anything away from them. There’s a reason why they’re one of the best out there.”

The Chargers won their third straight Classic Tecmo League game in moving to 3-2 on the season.

Rookie running back Jerome Bettis carried the ball 15 times for only 28 yards for San Diego, but Kelly finished with 219 yards on 63-percent throwing. Proehl had two catches for 115 yards.

With an early injury to wide receiver Vincent Brisby, tecmOCrusher looked in Waddle’s direction. He snagged two catches — both TDs — for 115 yards, including a 51-yard JJ from Erickson to put the Browns ahead 7-0 with 4:10 left in the first half.

On the ensuing possession, Kelly tossed an interception to Jones, which set up Norm Johnson’s 37-yard field goal that increased the margin to 10-0.

But Bettis found the end zone from 3 yards out to make it 10-7 heading into the half.

“It was either run at Jones or run away from him,” Vogtcd11 said. “Right there, we ran the hell away from him.”

Bettis later crossed the goal line with 1:43 to go in the game, which gave the Chargers their first lead, 14-10.

Next: A Waddle JJ touchdown.

After that: A Proehl JJ touchdown.

Game over.
Northeast 2008 Runner-up
Madison 2009 Elite 8
Midwest 2012 Elite 8
YOUNGSTOWN 2013 CHAMPION
Madison 2014 Elite 8
Midwest 2014 Elite 8
TTL Season VI Champion
TTL Season VIII Champion
Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament Director | www.mwtecmo.com
Tecmo Talk Radio founder | www.blogtalkradio.com/tecmotalk

tecmocrusher
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
TSB W-L-T: 0-0-0

Postby tecmocrusher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:18 am

Yep, it was a good game. but sloppy I felt. the lag made it feel sloppy. Sooo... stressful also.

Return to “CTL Week 5 Recaps”