Preventing Desyncs (new players read in)

Dynasty Tecmo for the SNES lovers.
SNFL Website
Supports:Image
Endzone2Endzone
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Preventing Desyncs (new players read in)

Postby Endzone2Endzone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 am

I think this really helps in preventing a desync:

Unzip the rom before playing, and both players delete the .srm file prior to playing- that way there is no conflicting data when the roms load up.

Also, close other programs and services from the os, especially any that use bandwidth. Turn off automatic updates from microsoft, antvirus, anything thats checks for updates all the damn time; update manually. Close AIM. Make sure you dont have a task running or will kick in at a scheduled time, while playing, like antivirus or spyware scans.

If you have a problem, before you start, close out of zsnes completely and reenter then goto NETPLAY, setup and load. Don't task switch from zsnes to desktop or another application (shouldnt have one up anyway).

- Make sure back buffer is checked and SAVE DATA is set to NONE. Use UDP

- Make sure you are both using the correct emulator version: zsnes 1.36

Its a good idea to check your ping (in ms) and download/upload speed (in kbps) from a server far away, or near your opponets location before you play. Not sure what the recommended values are, but for ping the lower the better and the more kbps the better. I'd say 200ms or better ping, download and uploads of 300 kbps or better should be quite solid for a high speed connection. I usually average under 100ms ping and 5000-15000 kbps DL and 700+ kbps UL speed.
I use this link to test: http://www.speedtest.net/

If you are getting bad results, try unplugging your router and modem. Plug in your modem first and let stabilize, then your router and let stabilize, then reboot your computer and test again.
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Kimrari
All-Star
All-Star
TSB W-L-T: 0-0-0

Re: Preventing Desyncs (new players read in)

Postby Kimrari » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:33 pm

absolutely great info!

muchos gracias

GoBlue
All-Star
All-Star

Postby GoBlue » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Agreed, thanks for putting this info together E2E.
NTL Steelers

TecmoTurd
All-Star
All-Star

Postby TecmoTurd » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:37 am

Weird, I wasn't aware ZSNES ever desynced. It's never happened to me...

GoBlue
All-Star
All-Star

Postby GoBlue » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 am

Since we started using 1.36 again, I haven't heard of a Desync happening. 1.42 was notorious for it, which may be why they took netplay out of their newest version. Still, good info just in case and FYI.
NTL Steelers

Return to “Super Nintendo Football League-Season II”