Tennessee On Rebuilding Path

Post anything concerning your team, from recruiting, signing day, two a days, spring practice, etc. Also schedule games here.
slim_jimmy7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
TSB W-L-T: 9-32-1

Tennessee On Rebuilding Path

Postby slim_jimmy7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 pm

KNOXVILLE, TN - While traveling to Georgia for the winner take all matchup versus the Bulldogs, Coach Slim invited a few reporters on the bus to talk all things Tennessee. After this season, WR Antrel Dillon, QB Nick Lamaison, RB's Tauren Poole and Ezekial Jones, along with LB Shane Reveiz are all graduating. These players exiting campus leaves a gaping hole in the leadership of the Volunteers. With the exception of Jones (who is more a fan favorite cult figure in Tennessee) all those graduating Seniors lead the all time stat categories in there respective positions at Tennessee. Naturally, our conversation with Coach Slim revolved around the big game in Georgia, next years program going forward, plus his upcoming negotiations with his contract which expires after season 21.

I asked him how he was expecting the Georgia game to go and the answer I got wasn't very re assuring, "We (I) have never beaten Georgia. Georgia is the one squad that on paper looks like we could beat but always have been either outcoached or downright screwed. This is the most talented team we have had since I have been at Tennessee. The one aspect of our game that will need to improve to win this game is the defense. The offense has been stellar all year, but the defense has underachieved. Earlier in the season we had such insanely good competition, whether it be versus UConn, Louisville, or Ball St we were forced to play harder and smarter. I think that experience will help us moving into this game. If we keep the turnovers at a minimum I like our chances, and if we win I will personally go over and paint a Orange T on Ugga."

In regards to next years team Slim sounded very optimistic, "You can't replace an Antrel Dillon, some of the crazy stats he has put up and the way he has taken over some games reminds me of Henry Herndon (of Arkansas a few years back). When we played Arkansas that year we knew where the ball was going, but still couldn't do a thing about it, Dillon poses those same problems for opposing defenses. His presence opens up our playbook and allows us to play freely. For next year the other three WR's on the squad will be ready to fill that hole, I like our options with our passing game. Two years ago we recruited a couple of really good QB's in Emeka Pinder and Ricky Zuckerman, Pinder is a little more raw at this point, but both are very capable of filling in for Nick (Lamaison the starting QB this season). At the running back position we will be down next year, we recruited a couple of solid players out of Kentucky this year (Brent Cobb and Bruno Lott), but they are both a year away. I was really proud to get TC Garth an OL from Florida to committ, he just committed today, and he is a beast. Garth will help sure up our offensive line immediately. On the defensive side we have a lot of returning players from this years squad, but I am excited about the prospect of LB Sean Camus, he will not be ready this next year, but will be a force once we get him into the system."

Something I really had to pry out of Coach Slim was his contract status, "I have a contract through Season 21 with the Volunteers, Mike Hamilton was the guy who set up that contract and he is now out as AD. In the contract I have the option to go another 4 after that for the same money. When I last talked to the AD Dave Hart, he said that he wants to give me the extra 4 years to lock me up ASAP and for sure before season 21. This is a business, and my value is a lot higher than it was 3 years ago, my coaching staff and I have turned this team into a perennial contender. After this season Dave Hart and I have set together a time to hammer things out."

TDO
TSB W-L-T: 405-1216-8

Re: Tennessee On Rebuilding Path

Postby TDO » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:25 pm

volsdawgs.jpg
volsdawgs.jpg (195.64 KiB) Viewed 74 times
You should have got your Win over the Dawgs while Coach Gorilla was on tenure leave last season.
Antiquity League- Federal League Champions 1982, 1985

tecmomig
Up and Comer
Up and Comer
TSB W-L-T: 0-0-0

Re: Tennessee On Rebuilding Path

Postby tecmomig » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 am

nice read.
Are you ready?

COWBOYS TFL SEASON I/II/III CHAMPION

***2011 TECMO BOWL III CHAMPION 5-1(LIVE CASH TOURNAMENT $550)***

***2010 TECMO BOWL II CHAMPION 6-0(LIVE CASH TOURNAMENT $700)***