Salvation by faith alone and babies?

Discussions about religious, spirtual, philosphical, scientific, and political beliefs.
YES we admit to mixing church and state
SOWA1291
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Salvation by faith alone and babies?

Postby SOWA1291 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Since babies can't accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior where do they go if they die?

Matlisab
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Salvation by faith alone and babies?

Postby Matlisab » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:48 pm

SOWA1291 wrote:Since babies can't accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior where do they go if they die?

They go to heaven.

God, out of His grace chooses to save all who die in infancy. While adherents affirm the seriousness of original sin and acknowledge that all infants have inherited a sin nature from Adam, they also teaching that extends special grace to these infants. Some say infants who die are given a special dispensation of the grace of God; it is not by their innocence but by Gods grace that they are received into heaven. Sinful nature, then, is not sufficient reason for God to condemn the child, for where salvation is by grace, damnation is by works. Those who have not had opportunity to do works which explicity and willfully reject God are not condemned to hell on that basis.

Some point out that the Bible consistently refers to the inhabitants of hell as being those who willfully committed sins and rebellion. The Bible teaches God does not condemn infants because: they have no willful rebellion or unbelief; they have never suppressed the truth; they have no understanding of sins impact or consequences; they have no debased behavior; and they have no ability to choose salvation. There is no place in Scripture in which a person suffers the judgment of damnation on the basis of anything other than sinful deeds, including the sinful deed of disbelief a conscious, willful, intentional choice to disbelieve. Furthermore, God does not charge people with sins until sins are committed.

After acknowledging the presence and importance of original sin, the Bible teaches that if a person lacks the natural capacity to see the revelation of God’s will or God’s glory then that person’s sin would not remain - God would not bring the person into final judgment for not believing what he had no natural capacity to see. In response to Romans 1 which speaks of Gods revelation through nature as leaving those who have never heard the gospel without excuse, if a person did not have access to the revelation of God’s glory - did not have the natural capacity to see it and understand it, then Paul implies they would have an excuse at the judgment. The point for us is that even though we human beings are under the penalty of everlasting judgment and death because of the fall of our race into sin and the sinful nature that we all have, nevertheless God only executes this judgment on those who have the natural capacity to see his glory and understand his will, and refuse to embrace it as their treasureInfants, They do not yet have that capacity; and therefore, in God’s inscrutable way, he brings them under the forgiving blood of his Son.

The one thing this view fails to satisfactorily reconcile is original sin. The teaching of Scripture is clear: even if I never committed a sin throughout my entire life, I would still be condemned to hell because of the original sin of Adam. Romans 5. This sin is imputed to me because Adam, as representative of the human race, sinned on my behalf. This very sin is the reason Jesus had to be born of God that is the only way He could be born freed from original sin. As such He was pure, not just in His actions but also in His very nature.

New borns, mentally ill and retarded individuals would qualify to the same logical grouping in how the Bible addresses unborn children. There is debate on what the age of accountability is with a fully developed living child happens to be. Jewish culture typically taught around 13 years of age. The Bible gives no clear indication on this matter. I believe it varies on the individual. I will say with confidence that an unborn child, newborn, mentally unstable person does not have the ability to respond to the Gospel.
League Regular Season Record: 193-81
League Playoff Record: 15-12
TPC Recored: 163-55

SOWA1291
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Postby SOWA1291 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am

So then for some such as babies Martin Luther's faith alone formula is not valid? Also how does one harmonize Romans 5 teaching of original sin with this view? Do we just throw it out or are their some things we will not know until the end? Also do most protestants believe in original sin?

Matlisab
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Matlisab » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 am

SOWA1291 wrote:So then for some such as babies Martin Luther's faith alone formula is not valid?

If his "formula" believes babies go to hell, then yes I would say it is not valid. I'll assume he falls in line with most who believe faith alone and say that faith alone is true of anyone who has the mental capacity to accept/reject the Gospel. I cannot say for sure, I haven't read everything he's ever written. I think he has a number of things I don't agree with, if he believes babies go to hell, then that would be another.

SOWA1291 wrote:Also how does one harmonize Romans 5 teaching of original sin with this view?

I'm not sure what you are asking

SOWA1291 wrote:Do we just throw it out or are their some things we will not know until the end?

There is a sense in which this is very true of some things. We are flawed humans trying to fully understand God and His precepts. I think he'll straighten us all out in some ways when we get to heaven. (By faith alone, sorry had to add it ;) )

SOWA1291 wrote:Also do most protestants believe in original sin?

I hope so, it's biblical. I can't speak for all, but I'd imagine most do. Some define it as total depravity or just depravity.
League Regular Season Record: 193-81
League Playoff Record: 15-12
TPC Recored: 163-55

Return to “Beliefs & Politics”