Who believes in GOD?

Discussions about religious, spirtual, philosphical, scientific, and political beliefs.
YES we admit to mixing church and state
TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
TSB W-L-T: 19 TECMO TITLES

Re: Who believes in GOD?

Postby TSBGOD » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I am torn as in if there is a God that is amongst us or not. I do respect you beliefs Justin, just to make that clear.

I never want to sound ignorant when I am talking on this subject and do not like to offend anyone about religion or their beliefs. Just trying to be honest on what I believe in. I 100% hope there is an afterlife :)

regulator088
All-Star
All-Star
TSB W-L-T: 21 Titles

Postby regulator088 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm

discdolo wrote:Faith is your own thing .. Folks say He but never met said God.. thats another issue I have.. when you die you die, no one has returned to tell us what happens so you can make up any story of what happens .. Live for now. Treat your fellow human with love and respect. Living for the afterlife has to be the most ridiculous concept. .but thats what I feel.. I can only feel and experience my life..

I could say that not believing in God or an afterlife is the most ridiculous/depressing concept as well. That must be a pretty gloomy feeling believing that once you die, your gone forever.

Like stated earlier, that is our faith, our belief. Ridiculing someone for that is what's wrong with the world. Part of the afterlife is based on what you do as a human on Earth. Your theory of love and respect is also what drives those who believe in God. Do you think people who live in severe sin have nothing to fear?

Just picking your brain, but let's remember that we need to respect everyone's opinion. To say someone's belief is ridiculous is not fair.
Play games, say GG, do recaps..... Harmony in tecmo

regulator088
All-Star
All-Star

Postby regulator088 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 pm

TSBGOD wrote:I am torn as in if there is a God that is amongst us or not. I do respect you beliefs Justin, just to make that clear.

I never want to sound ignorant when I am talking on this subject and do not like to offend anyone about religion or their beliefs. Just trying to be honest on what I believe in. I 100% hope there is an afterlife :)

Bingo, disagreeing while respecting another person's belief. Nothing wrong with that.

discdolo
All-Star
All-Star
TSB W-L-T: 0-0-0

Postby discdolo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm

I said your belief or faith is yours.. whats ridiculous to me is not to someone else.. I didn't mean it as disrespect.
The Jim Kelly of Tecmo!!

regulator088
All-Star
All-Star

Postby regulator088 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 am

What you say/mean and what people interpret (me in this case) can be different.

I know you didn't say it to disrespect anyone intentionally.

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Thu May 16, 2013 10:11 am

Can't sleep. Found this thread.

To answer your question about the Boston Bombings, other evil acts, and why they occur, TSBGod, the answer has to do with "Free Will", or so they say. We're given free will and for some reason are also not protected against other's free will. There is a reasonable explanation for it, believe it or not. I forget it though, and probably would butcher it anyways. I'll let somebody more educated in this area take over from here.

Also, I too am a long time recovering/recovered alcoholic. To say that this is because I have great self control and willpower is laughable. I have many good character traits but those are not two of them. I am still very vulnerable to temptation in life, as well as struggle to control my emotions more than the average person. I also have an extremely addictive personality. Despite all of this however, the desire for alcohol has completely left me. That is miracle, and it's obviously because of something beyond my control. Sure I can take some credit for driving my ass to AA, listening to what other people said, and for giving it a shot (like 30 times before it finally clicked) but ultamitely the recovered/recovering addict just has a feeling -- a sort of puppet master inside inside of them -- that cannot be explained. And you'll hear this over and over again from people in recovery. Sure we picked up the book, sure we called a fellow addict, but ultamitely we really just "let go and let God". It works and we can feel it. I don't think you have to be able to see or touch something to prove its existence.

That said, I'm not a believer in some mythical being nor in prayer whatsoever, beyond it's psychological power in helping with stress (a topic for another day). I don't think it works like that. I know for sure though that something else has more control over my life and our world than I and us.

As far as after life goes, I also don't believe that dancing angels greet us amongst pillows of white. Something however has to happen. Ask yourself this, Dolo and other non believers, if we know we are living and breathing, don't we also have to know when we are not? How can it just end? How does your science explain that?
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner
Five-Time Online Champion (XFL I, XFL XII, CTL XIX, TTL XIV, TTL XVII)
AIM: clarkhamilton1

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:00 pm

I really never said I was actually a non-believer, just that nothing can be 100% proven. So nobody really knows what really happens when we die. Everything is " free will" good or bad. I believe GOD made this world but hard to believe he has the power to help us good or bad IMO. Who knows!

I will never believe that non sense that he helps with kicking alcohol, drugs and other things. That is laughable. You are your own person, you either have the will or not the will... Simple math :)

discdolo
All-Star
All-Star

Postby discdolo » Fri May 17, 2013 5:27 am

Prayer and the repetition is similar to meditation practice, to touch on your psychological stance on prayer Chek.. Once again no one has died and come back to tell us what happens after we die (not even Jesus!!)
The Jim Kelly of Tecmo!!

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Fri May 17, 2013 8:10 am

Read my mind, dolo.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

MRTECMOSUPERBOWL
Champion
Champion
TSB W-L-T: 16 Titles

Postby MRTECMOSUPERBOWL » Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 pm

discdolo wrote:Once again no one has died and come back to tell us what happens after we die (not even Jesus!!)

I thought Jesus did come back. Once again I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I recall that in Bible it said he came back.
NWO Season 1 Champion
TCS Season 11 National Champion
PTT Tourney Champion
TBL Season 1 Champion
TCS Season 16 Bowl Champion
NCAA Season 1 National Champion
TPC Tourney Champion
B&G Tourney Champion
NCAA Season 2 National Champion
WTFR Season 8 Champion (1977)
WTFR Season 10 Champion (1979)
NTF Season 3 Champion (1972)
NTF Season 4 Champion (1973)
NTF Season 6 Champion (1975)
TCS 2.0 Season 2 Bowl Champion
The OG Original WTF Season 28 Champion (2017)

***Tecmobowler 2007-2014***

justinpeters51
Up and Comer
Up and Comer
TSB W-L-T: 185-0-0

Postby justinpeters51 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:39 pm

MRTECMO, you are correct the bible states that Jesus Died on the cross and then was rose again 3 days later by the power of the Holy Spirit (The Holy Spirit is also the active agent that did the work when God said Let there be light, earth... ect).

Now that is what the bible says, but I am sure that there are several on this forum that do not believe that the bible is truly the Inspired word of God. I am guessing that some think that men just wrote it according to what they thought. I believe and the Bible says that the whole bible was God putting words into mans hearts to write down his thoughts and heart. Basically like if I said he go get a book and pen and write what I tell you.

I believe in the Resurection, i believe that same power that raised Christ from the dead was working in my to clean up my life, also same with clark adn many others. You cant possibly understand clark and my thoughts on getting over addictions unless you have been there I think.

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 pm

What about the million others that could not kick the addiction? Did God help them? Don't be silly, you kick your habit because of will, nothing to do with God. He is great, but you do it on your own. He does not pick and chooses who he helps, let's get real here. It's all good and dandy If you let God in to your life and your strong belief helped you with your addiction but to say he helped you would be false IMO.

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 am

justinpeters51 wrote: You cant possibly understand clark and my thoughts on getting over addictions unless you have been there I think.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 am

TSBGOD wrote:What about the million others that could not kick the addiction? Did God help them? Don't be silly, you kick your habit because of will, nothing to do with God. He is great, but you do it on your own. He does not pick and chooses who he helps, let's get real here. It's all good and dandy If you let God in to your life and your strong belief helped you with your addiction but to say he helped you would be false IMO.

The answer is actually really simple. They were for whatever reason incapable of giving up, giving in, and allowing help. You are correct. He (whomever "he" is exactly) does not pick and chose. You have to ask. He's not going to beg you to let him help you. You have to ask him... and be truly sincere about it, as well as truly prepared to surrender.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 1:13 am

chekreyes wrote:
TSBGOD wrote:What about the million others that could not kick the addiction? Did God help them? Don't be silly, you kick your habit because of will, nothing to do with God. He is great, but you do it on your own. He does not pick and chooses who he helps, let's get real here. It's all good and dandy If you let God in to your life and your strong belief helped you with your addiction but to say he helped you would be false IMO.

The answer is actually really simple. They were for whatever reason incapable of giving up, giving in, and allowing help. You are correct. He (whomever "he" is exactly) does not pick and chose. You have to ask. He's not going to beg you to let him help you. You have to ask him... and be truly sincere about it, as well as truly prepared to surrender.

That's bullshit. Common sense is all that's needed to figure this out.

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

Is "silly", "bullshit", "common sense" the only input you can provide?

Let's keep this respectful please. You're a little too passionate (and starting to be rude) about a topic you know nothing about (recovery).
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 1:24 am

chekreyes wrote:Is "silly", "bullshit", "common sense" the only input you can provide?

Let's keep this respectful please. You're a little too passionate (and starting to be rude) about a topic you know nothing about (recovery).

I know about recovery..My Dad, my brother, and a bunch of friends. Has nothing to do with God. You either stop the addiction, or you don't. Peopel praise God for the good, and say "FREE WILL" when the bad happens. It's gets hilarious after awhile. LIKE A CULT!

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 1:50 am

Dad, brother, and friends is not knowing about recovery. Sorry.

How much Ala-non did you go to? It sounds like very little. You don't know anything about recovery. You just don't. But, that's okay. We don't expect you to. Most don't. Again, you have to be there yourself, or be a highly trained professional in the area.

As far as "free will" for the bad and "praise the lord!" for the good, I don't quite get that myself. The acts of "god" (notice the quotes)(we're largely on the same team here) that I am talking about here is completely unrelated to that. I'm not talking about getting on knees, cults, seeing lights, mythological creatures, Boston bombings, being touched by an angel... none of that. I'm talking solely about the phenomenon that is "letting go and letting God". It works. And most in recovery will say that it is the only thing that worked. This says something. We're not just two wacky people here. We're talking on behalf of millions of people here.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 am

chekreyes wrote:Dad, brother, and friends is not knowing about recovery. Sorry.

How much Ala-non did you go to? It sounds like very little. You don't know anything about recovery. You just don't. But, that's okay. We don't expect you to. Most don't. Again, you have to be there yourself, or be a highly trained professional in the area.

As far as "free will" for the bad and "praise the lord!" for the good, I don't quite get that myself. The acts of "god" (notice the quotes)(we're largely on the same team here) that I am talking about here is completely unrelated to that. I'm not talking about getting on knees, cults, seeing lights, mythological creatures, Boston bombings, being touched by an angel... none of that. I'm talking solely about the phenomenon that is "letting go and letting God". It works. And most in recovery will say that it is the only thing that worked. This says something. We're not just two wacky people here. We're talking on behalf of millions of people here.

Yes, I know about recovery, my Dad was a alcoholic for years...stopped drinking when I was around 14, brother drank like a siv and many friends lost everything due to addictions. My Dad turned for the better, brother is a dick drunk or sober. A lot of my friends recovered and now living very good lives. I been through the good and bad with them..through their recovery. It was not easy but they came through. I know I never myself went through recovery, but I been through many peoples struggles. I myself, have never had a beer in my life. THANK myself..not GOD! My Dad, brother and many others were not religious or were helped by God. They did it on their own. Hence..you either kick it or you don't.

Let me repeat this..I do believe in God, just that he cannot do anything for this World or anyone in general. He made this world and that was good enough.

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 2:03 am

chekreyes wrote:Dad, brother, and friends is not knowing about recovery. Sorry.

You are talking on behalf of millions..and the other half are talking that it is not the case. 50/50

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 am

I don't know how you get 50/50 out of 99/1. 99% of people in recovery will echo these words. Those not in recovery don't matter. That would be like me giving input on how molecular physics works. I'm not qualified to do so.

Props to your people that made it through, and my condolences for those still struggling. I highly recommend Al-Anon. It will further help you to understand how all of this works. Again, I'm not religious either. And I don't think that you can just pray to God and be healed of whatever you or a loved one is going through. It's deeper than that. There is a certain way of the world and spiritual force that has more control of what goes on in this world than you and I. And there absolutely is a way to channel this in your favor - a way to turn things over to him or it.

This is my belief. This is my experience. Thanks for respecting that.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 2:34 am

chekreyes wrote:I don't know how you get 50/50 out of 99/1. 99% of people in recovery will echo these words. Those not in recovery don't matter. That would be like me giving input on how molecular physics works. I'm not qualified to do so.

Props to your people that made it through, and my condolences for those still struggling. I highly recommend Al-Anon. It will further help you to understand how all of this works. Again, I'm not religious either. And I don't think that you can just pray to God and be healed of whatever you or a loved one is going through. It's deeper than that. There is a certain way of the world and spiritual force that has more control of what goes on in this world than you and I. And there absolutely is a way to channel this in your favor - a way to turn things over to him or it.

This is my belief. This is my experience. Thanks for respecting that.

I always respect anyones belief, not trying to say you are wrong, just that nobody really knows. All those people I mentioned were in recovery, you do not have to go to meetings to be part of a recovery, that is where you are being totally wrong. Recovery has nothing to do with Al-Anon. That is just a place where you go, not all that go there recovers, same as if you do not go there. So yes, to me it's 50/50 about peoples beliefs on how they recovered. Most people say they had a strong will and do not need to travel that road any longer. No help from God or Al-Anon. You can recover anyway you want, you do not need a group to get you through.

tecmoaddict
Florida
Florida
TSB W-L-T: 3 Titles!

Postby tecmoaddict » Sat May 18, 2013 2:44 am

I've seen addicts in boarding school (esp. my 1st year as it was basically an underground drug addict haven until we got a new headmaster) and I think that a person has the power to say no. It's damn difficult, but at the end of the day if a person wants to drink, smoke, snort prescription drugs, do meth, get high off lysol, (yes we had a kid who did that) they are going to do it. I never saw the end result for many of these kids as they were kicked out and went to the next school or even a rehab center, but their lives went out of control due to personal and emotional issues. I personally think that believing in God gives someone confidence that they have support from a higher being in fighting their problem(s). I believe in God/higher being who created us, but I feel like we make our own choices and that it is pot luck where we are born, who are parents are, where we grow up, what we choose ect.
TECMOCOWBOYSNTA Season 1 Champion (13-2)
TECMOCOWBOYSNTA Season 2 Champion (12-4)
TECMOCOWBOYSTTL Season 1 Champion (7-5)

BRONCOS ATA Season 24 Runner-Up (15-4)

clarkham
All-Star
All-Star

Postby clarkham » Sat May 18, 2013 5:00 am

Al-Anon is not where you go for recovery, TSBGod. This is yet another example of why I think you know very little about the topic. Al-Anon is a place for loved ones to go to learn about and cope with a loved one's usage. AA or NA is where the actual addict goes.

What is your source for these 50/50 numbers please? Because it is widely known that group therapy and embracing a higher power are by far and away the top methods for kicking addiction. It's not just what half of the people do. It's not even close. I can't believe we are even debating this. And science has proven that addiction is not about "willpower" and who is weak minded and strong minded. To put it simply, we are not wired the same as the average person. We cant have just one, nor drink on just one night of the week. Alcohol (or drugs) triggers something inside us that is absolutely beyond our control. The average person has the "willpower" to stop, or to not get into trouble with it, because they are not addicted. And this gets back to those people that you said succeeded in recovery without some form of intervention. They may not have been "true alcoholics", but rather just abusers.

This said, we absolutely can control how we deal with the hand that we are dealt. The "boo-hoo, I'm an alcoholic, I can't do anything about it, and it's not fair" game is indeed bullshit. You absolutely can. Reach out for help, talk to others in your shoes, do some soul searching, begin to be honest with yourself, etc, etc. To say "just don't drink, have some willpower" though doesn't work. It's not like that. Again, it's been proven to be much more than that.

And a higher power absolutely can be proven. If you feel it, if it does something for you, if it works, then it exists. Nothing in this world really exists until our brains perceive that it does. Ponder that.

Thank you for not including a "silliness" or "BS" in this post.
TTL XX LIONS & FALCONS

TTL commissioner

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Sat May 18, 2013 5:05 am

We will agree to disagree... I have seen it up close..pure addicts that have stopped due to help of friends and family. Nothing to do with God. I sound like I am repeating myself so I will stop. God made us..does nothing else to help us through good or bad. You might want to believe in that, if that what gets you through, good job! Whatever works....

You perceive that God exists...we cannot prove or not prove this until our day has come. No need to try to prove something that cannot be proven.

Return to “Beliefs & Politics”