Trayvon Martin case

Discussions about religious, spirtual, philosphical, scientific, and political beliefs.
YES we admit to mixing church and state
Matlisab
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Trayvon Martin case

Postby Matlisab » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 am

Many have made the very needed point that our African-American neighbors have experienced real discrimination that gives them a legitimate reason to suspect wrong-doing.

However, we would all be more balanced if it dealt with another kind of assumption: the assumption that Zimmerman must have been wrong simply because there is such an extensive history of wrong being done to other African-American people.

The details of both Zimmerman's life (who had black friends tutored in his home, who took a black girl as his prom date, who protested to the police when a policeman had beaten a black man) and the details of the incident (that Zimmerman wasn't even certain Martin was black, that he wasn't following Martin closely nor did he apparently confront Martin, etc), show that this was not such an incident. And yet many assumed it was.

This was profiled as a racial attack from the beginning (which I personally believed). That kind of profiling needs to be dealt with too. A community watch volunteer should have the right to watch his neighborhood, report a suspicious character, without being profiled as a racist if that character happens to be black.

Yes, the masses are absolutely correct: "We never have the right to draw unwarranted conclusions about a person." Now, please apply that courtesy to Mr. Zimmerman and those like him.
League Regular Season Record: 193-81
League Playoff Record: 15-12
TPC Recored: 163-55

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
TSB W-L-T: 19 TECMO TITLES

Postby TSBGOD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:54 am

discdolo wrote:why should trayvon martin have to run? what wrong did he do? And whos to say the cowboy wouldnt have chased him if he already didn't follow orders from the authorities to not pursue..

I never said he had to run, just said it could have been prevented if he just ran away. The Cowboy in no way could of caught up to Trayvon if he would of just ran away. If he did not follow, Trayvon would of still been alive. If Trayvon ran away, he would of still been alive. I agree with the verdict only because the prosecution did an awful job in the case. We have to go by the justice system. We did it with OJ Simpson right? This is not at all a race issue to me, it's an open and shut case of self defense. Does not matter to me If Trayvon was black, white, or green. 90% of people of color thinks it's an outrage and half of them do not know anythnig about the case. Same as Obama winning election...People of color did not care about his political views, they only cared about the color of his skin. Pathetic, but 100% true.

P.S. I voted for Obama for the people who think I am being crazy in anyway.

discdolo
All-Star
All-Star
TSB W-L-T: 0-0-0

Postby discdolo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Mat I agree a neighborhood watch person has right to investigate and contact authorities, but the issue folks have is the definition of suspicion. When one uses the persons appearance to indicate suspicion vs their actions. Remember when Arabs and Sikhs were harassed and profiled because of their appearance?? Unless you have dealt with profiling from police, store clerks/security, Taxi cab drivers etc. its hard to understand that. And yes profiling is not just done by whites. I have had issues with minority folks who profiled me or my peers ..
The Jim Kelly of Tecmo!!

Inactive_User
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby Inactive_User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7i60GuNRg[/youtube]

Saw this on FB. I know this may not be the complete truth, but I can imagine it is pretty close.

discdolo
All-Star
All-Star

Postby discdolo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 pm

funny but true.. i got some laughs out that video but its not really funny
The Jim Kelly of Tecmo!!

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 pm

discdolo wrote:Mat I agree a neighborhood watch person has right to investigate and contact authorities, but the issue folks have is the definition of suspicion. When one uses the persons appearance to indicate suspicion vs their actions. Remember when Arabs and Sikhs were harassed and profiled because of their appearance?? Unless you have dealt with profiling from police, store clerks/security, Taxi cab drivers etc. its hard to understand that. And yes profiling is not just done by whites. I have had issues with minority folks who profiled me or my peers ..

I hope you do not think this case was a murder...if prosecution did their job right it could of possibly been manslaughter but even that would of been 50/50. Racial profiling will always exist, it's as common as the sun coming up.

You know the difference in this Dolo? The kid was Afro american, that's why so many people of color care. If he was white do you think they really would give two shits? If the kid was white do you really think Caucasian people would have really cared as much? Answer to both questions is no. This is much to do about nothing as it is to do about something. If Zimmerman was black, this would not even be a story. Sad as that sounds, it's true.

regulator088
All-Star
All-Star
TSB W-L-T: 21 Titles

Postby regulator088 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 am

Ding.... thank you for summing up my post pages ago TSBgod..... whites kills whites.... no biggie...... blacks kill blacks.... no biggie.... mexicans kill mexicans..... no biggie..... mix and match and you have national media because that's what entertains dumbasses through America. Picking sides.
Play games, say GG, do recaps..... Harmony in tecmo

TSBGOD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby TSBGOD » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-trial-t ... 58230.html side story same state of Florida.

A jury took just 12 minutes to find her guilty of three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. 10-20 years for this? LOL

At the time, Alexander had an active restraining order against her husband and she carried a concealed weapons permit.

That is crazy. Now Dolo, this is an outrage, not the Zimmerman case.

Return to “Beliefs & Politics”